Saturday, April 19, 2008

3 Sleeps in Denver in the state of Colorado in the United States of America

After 4 months of pure bliss in South America it was time to get back to 'reality', so en-route to reality I nipped into the USA. First to Dallas for a day where I was in a state of shock at how big everything was, the toilets, the toilet paper, snickers bars (eek....thats probably not the best thing to refer to after talking about toilets....), pizza, people, cars, it was insane - a country with oversized and excess everything! Then onto Denver later that evening to see Craig and his ever growing family consisting of a very happy and smiley wife (Kim), godsend who helps with everything (Loren), Ryan (son no.1) and Logan (son no. 2). I had a wonderful time catching up with Craig and getting to know his gorgeous family. And in case you're wondering, yes I did get a little crazy about the kids! Luckily Craig knew what to expect so had probably warned the household in advance and they didn't need to be too concerned at my obvious obsession (well not that they showed anyway). But family ties aside, Denver is a beautiful place, surrounded by amazing greenery and mountains. It was snowing when I arrived (which was interesting as Craig had lost the car at the airport so that was exciting in the not-so tropical heat), so I woke the following morning to snow covered houses, trees and lawns then later that very morning it all melted away and we were treated to sun for the remainder of my stay. Apparently the population is the same as the entire population of NZ! NZ really is small in the scheme of it all...... Anyhoo, moving right along.....

Family Velenski

Loren and her boys

Me getting in there at feeding time (but tyring not to take over!!!)

Snow covered branches, lush!....when you're not used to seeing snow

Chalet 'Velenski'



Ridicously big car, the top of the bonnet of this car came up to my neck! This is a typically sized vehicle roaming the streets! A very different sight to the vehicles I seen and travelled in in South America, bit of 'reverse culture shock' went on here

Craig in his bar after a hard morning!

Craig and Kim going head to head on some Video Arcade/spacey game/device

One of Craigs 'Artistic shots'

Family time (with me) out for a walk and picnic

BMT, 2 yr old Ryan (on my lap) and 1 yr old Logan (not on my lap)

And which magazine or newspaper are you after today?

Downtown Dallas, the central Business district with ridicously sized buildings!

And that brings us to the end of my stay in the States of Texas and Colorado in the USA! There are more updates on their way in the not too distant future of my last week in Bolivia, Chile and the homecoming.....good grief....you're not the only one rolling your eyes I assure you!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hi bronnie

cute to see craig and his family, very lovely......where are you now? in aussie? well am 12 weeks up the duff bronnie so that is very exciting! baby due december 4 holy macaroni! hope you are really good,am going to miss the travel blog like you! love phillipa and chrishiles xxx

Anonymous said...

Ahhh oversized America... that brings back memories! When Rich and I first got to Vanuatu after Cayman... our first meal out was a breakfast and we were so shocked to see the 'normal' sized meals. We'd obviously seen too much of the states! hehe..
Where are you heading now then? Coming to visit us in Vanuatu I hope.
Come see your mateless friend!
Love ya lots
xxxx Nic