Monday, January 28, 2008

Adios Cordoba.....the reflections

Hard to believe that my stint in Cordoba is over, hard to believe that something I had waited for for so long (well 6 months, and thats a long time for me) is now over and done with! Had a brilliant time there and stoked that I chose to come to Argentina to learn Spanish, a few dance moves and a bit about the culture. I was constantly blown away by how warm, kind and giving the Argentian people were with me. I never really knew what to expect and had heard that the Argentinian people were quite snobbish and only had time for themselves, this couldn't be further from the truth of what I experienced. Even in the supermarket the checkout operator corrected my spanish and would wait patiently while I got out what I needed to say, then show sheer excitement when I got my speel right. I made a couple of great friends whom i'll endeavour to see again in my lifetime and learnt a very valuable lesson, you don't need alot of money or have to go far to make the most out of life. Argentinians are very proud of their culture and their country and get enjoyment out of the simplest things their lives have to offer, in being able to share all they have amongst themselves and with visitors, families are very close and where possible they get together every weekend for food, music and non stop talking. On the other hand there are the things that could do with improvement, everyone lives off sugar, the national delicacy is a caramel paste called Dulce de Leche, these guys are mad about it, you have it on bread, alone or in icecream, its more a part of the staple diet of an Argentinian than Vegemite is to me! Theres so much sugar in their diet and its being reflected in the children as their waistlines grow. The talk of my carrot juice did not go down well! The argentinians casually throw rubbish on the street with little concern for what happens beyond that. And it recently came to light that for a girl in Argentina the big celebration is her 15th birthday, she has the choice of 5 presents, Money, a party, something else I don't remember, a nose job or a breast enlargement!!!! Vanity is a big deal in Argentina, the men love the women of Argentina and the women will go to great lengths to stay visually appealing for their men! No hope for me whatsover, no chance of a boob job or a nose job here - definately not in my budget... Infact they'll be lucky if I brush my hair! Anyway enough of my rambling, if you've come this far you're probably only here for photos...so here goes.


When I returned from Patagonia I changed houses, this was my new bedroom


Innes and Papa who I lived with in the new 'digs'


Paseo de Artes, one of the streets in Cordoba


Ok this doesn´t look at all appetizing (Pancho) but geez they were yum and good for a quick bite to eat after a big night. Essentially a hot dog with a choice of 2 sauces (mine were creme of garlic and olives)


Vicki & I sharing a guzzle of milansea (Melon with pips removed and replaced with Vino and Ice), yummo!


The wholesome spread of food Vicki & I prepared for my farewell gathering, something very difficult to find in the country crazy about meat, bread and sugar!


Mariana and Thiago (Brazilians I used to live with) cosying in for farewell photo

Anyway thats enough of that I did want to add a few more pics, but alas I have new adventures to write about now as i'm fresh out of Carnavale in Rio DeJaniro....Brazil!

Watch this space xxx

No comments: